The air shuttle 85 years flying over the city
“Savor watching the currency indescribable panorama of the city, the port and the Mediterranean. From the beach to the delightful gardens of Montjuïc in four minutes. ” That was the letter of the launch of the iconic cable car Port of Barcelona in the notice published in La Vanguardia in its Sunday edition of September 13, 1931. Now the iconic red trolleys meet 85, approaching a century life full of all kinds of anecdotes and setbacks.
The cable car Port, which began serving until two in the morning, was designed by Carles Buigas, author of the Magic Fountain of Montjuic. It construction began in 1928 on the occasion of the Universal Exhibition of 1929 to connect the area of Montjuïc with its maritime section, but was not completed in time for lack of funds. At the end of the Port cable car began to fly over the city in 1931. But this was not the only surprise. In the Civil War interrupted his service, the cables were removed and the towers, especially that of Sant Sebastia, which houses a Mediterranean creative cuisine, became a strategic place in the defense of the port of Barcelona.
After the war the air shuttle was not at his best and was about to close in the late 50s Indeed, a sad event at that time forced remodeling. A crash of the sixth American fleet crashed leaving several casualties. In 1963 it was reopened and the late 90 underwent another major refurbishment.
During the tour, about 1,300 meters and ten minutes, you can see from the district of Barceloneta, yachts moored in the harbor to the gardens of Montjuïc. This air travel has three stops, the tower of Miramar in Montjuïc, Sant Sebastia Tower in the Barceloneta, and Jaume I, the highest with 101 meters in the port.
Although the cable car you can see another point of view the city, it has been rather an attraction that the locals have turned their backs and tourists are the ones who have enjoyed this medium to fly over the city.
Please visit our websites:
The fountain of Hercules, in Còrsega street with Passeig Sant Joan, is the oldest public monument in the city, opened in 1802 in the disappeared Passeig of the Esplanade
It is the oldest public statue of Barcelona and represents Hercules, mythological founder of the city. Currently he can be seen capping the fountain of crossing the Paseo Sant Joan and Còrsega. But it was not always there. When built, for over two centuries, it was located in the late ride Esplanada, a landscaped public space in Barcelona between the Ribera district and the Ciutadella fortress.
It is the work of Salvador Gurri, a sculptor highly prized in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. It is estimated that the monument was built between 1797 and 1802, on the initiative of the then Captain General of Catalonia, Augustine of Lancaster, to commemorate the visit to Barcelona of King Carlos IV and his wife, Maria Luisa of Parma. In fact, the source of Hercules was part of a set of four devoted to mythological characters. The other three were devoted to Fortis sea god, a Nereid riding a dolphin and the nymph Arethusa. The Hercules is the only survivor of that group.
The original location of the four fountains, the walk to the Esplanade, for nearly a century was a very popular and frequented by the locals space, devoid of amenities within the walls. The tour ran more or less parallel to the street Commerce, in full security zone, uninhabited, which had been arranged around the Ciutadella. He starting near what is now the station França and ending in the Portal Nou, almost touching the current Arc de Triomf, largely following the path of Paseo Picasso.
The demolition of the strength and development of the park and the site of the Universal Exhibition of 1888 condemned this first public garden and fountains. Only saved Hercules, being in the near Arc de Triomf end, so he joined gardens also disappeared Palau de les Belles Arts. He was there until 1928, when his transfer was decided to urbanize the ride Sant Joan, designed as an extension of the Esplanada.
Until the Civil War, the dean of the city monument was the source of Santa Eulalia, originally from 1673, which was destroyed during the war and later restored.